"Welcome" Page > Home Page. > More information... > Photo Gallery opening page > Photo Gallery page 3 >

 Home   What we do   Services   What's on   Resources   Hall hire   More information...   Site map   Contact us... 

The Parish Church of Immanuel and St Andrew, Streatham

Registered Charity 1131245
452 Streatham High Road · London · SW16 3PY  ·  Tel: (020) 8679 6888

 


IMMANUEL AND ST ANDREW'S PHOTO GALLERY - PAGE 3
A rather incomplete pictorial history 1854-1980.

On this page are photos that record something of Immanuel Church's history up to around 1980. (The dedication was just 'Immanuel' until the 1950s.) Please scroll down to see them, or use the 'Previous' and 'Next' links here and by the photos.
In most cases there is a brief description beside the photo and further notes below - for which you may need to scroll down,
You can also follow this link to return to the Photo Gallery opening page.

Next >

For the best view you may find it helps to adjust the width, height or size of your browser window.

Links to the main pages are at the ^TOP^ of the page.


Photo of Immanuel and St. Andrew Church (N0274b.jpg)

 1 

< Top of page 

Next >

We begin with a view of the present building - for comparison with what follows. This photo shows Immanuel and St. Andrew Church building from the east in 2004. Although there have been changes inside since then there has been few alterations to the exterior recently and this is much as the building looks today.

^TOP^



Photo of Immanuel Church 1854 (Immanuel-02-JBrown.jpg)

 2 

< Previous

Next >

The original Immanuel Church building built in 1854, viewed from Streatham Common.

See the notes below the photo.

Photo copyright © John W Brown, Local History Publications.

 

This photo, kindly provided by John Brown of Local History Publications, shows the original Immanuel Church building, completed in 1854, viewed from beside the pond that was on Streatham Common. (The pond appears to have been roughly where the paddling pool is today.) The tower was not yet built. The building stood where St John's House, the tall yellowish block of flats behind the tower in the 2004 view above, stands today.

In 1865 the building was substantially enlarged. The tower was built just to the left of the original building, a new south aisle was built behind it and galleries were built above the aisles (see photo 4 below).

(For something on the centenary of Immanuel Church in 1954 see the notes to photo 9 below

^TOP^



Photo of Immanuel School 1861 (Immanuelschool-1861.jpg)

 3 

< Previous

Next >

Immanuel Church of England Primary School 1861-1976.

See the notes below the photo.

Original artist not known. Apologies are offered if any copyright has been infringed.
Digitisation copyright © David Gray 2015.

 

A few years after the first church building was completed Immanuel Church of England School opened on a nearby site (see notes to photo 6 below). This picture of the original school building was reproduced from a commemorative dish produced when the school moved to a new site in 1976. After the move the original building was incorporated into the adjacent factory complex (see notes to photo 6) and later demolished to make way for Sainsbury's Superstore.

^TOP^



Photo of Immanuel Church probably around 1930 (Immanuel-c1930d.jpg)

 4 

< Previous

Next >

Immanuel Church building, probably around 1930.

See the notes below the photo.

Photographer and copyright holder (if any) not known. Apologies are offered if any copyright has been infringed.
Digitisation copyright © David Gray 2005.

 

Although this photo apparently dates from some time in the first part of the 20th century (note the tram wires along the High Road across the front!), apart from minor changes over the years it probably shows how the building looked from the time of its enlargement in 1865 until the 1950s when the new hall was built. The part of the building visible to the right (north) of the tower is essentially the same building that can be seen in photo 2 above, albeit somewhat modified. The two gable ends (one partly hidden in this photo) and the round window with the porch below it on the north aisle correspond. The small spire is probably the one formerly on the ridge of the roof in photo 2, moved to a new position by the porch. The turret beneath it housed a staircase to the gallery that was erected over the north aisle. The photo is taken from a similar viewpoint to the 21st century view above.

This photo and the interior view below are from the parish archives. Their exact date is not known. Although the originals are similar in format it cannot necessarily be assumed that they were taken at the same time or by the same photographer.

The external staircase near the back in this photo would have led originally to the south aisle gallery, so this may indicate a date prior to 1928 when the galleries were removed. However, some staircases remained after the galleries were gone so this is not certain. Nothing is known of the circumstances in which the photos were taken or who was/were the photographer(s). There is someone working with a stepladder by the notice board in the photo above, and the group by the church door are facing away from the camera, which suggest the picture was not specially commissioned or posed but may have been a casual view, perhaps taken by a visitor or church member.

^TOP^



Photo of the inside of Immanuel Church around 1930 (Immanuelinside-c1930c.jpg)

 5 

< Previous

Next >

The interior of Immanuel Church building, probably at some time around 1930, after the galleries were removed in 1928.

See the notes below the photo above.

Photographer and copyright holder (if any) not known. Apologies are offered if any copyright has been infringed.
Digitisation copyright © David Gray 2005.

^TOP^



Photo of the Beehive Coffee Tavern building (DSCN2014b.jpg)

 6 

< Previous

Next >

The Beehive Coffee Tavern building in 2005.

See the notes below the photo.

 

Built in 1878 under the direction of Stenton Eardley, the first Vicar of Immanuel and a champion of the Temperance Movement, the Beehive Coffee Tavern aimed to provide an alternative to alcoholic refreshment. (It is - and presumably was - next to a pub!) The building also served as the church hall until the late 1950s, and parts of it remained in parish ownership until the 1970s. It was the venue for many parish activities up to that time, but it no longer has any connection with the church and recent uses have included offices and a day nursery.

The building with the clock turret in the background is the Streatham Silk Mill, believed to be the oldest factory building in South London. It did not remain a silk mill for long but became part of a factory complex producing rubber products which closed in the 1980s. It is now part of Sainsbury's Superstore.

The old school building (Photo 3 above) stood just to the right of the picture. It was demolished to make way for Sainsbury's.

^TOP^



William Chasteauneuf (chasteauneufphoto.gif) reference for William Chasteauneuf (chasteauneufref1.jpg)

 7 and 8 

< Previous

Next >

The church is the people, not the buildings - and the next four photos show some of the people who have been Immanuel Church over the years...

This young man was a member of the Immanuel community in 1914. He sought a new life as a farmer in Australia...

For more see the notes below the photo.

 

Among the many parish activities that took place in the Beehive Coffee Tavern was a flourishing Lads' Club in the years before the First World War. A remarkable link to South Australia was uncovered by a researcher in Adelaide, Elspeth Grant, who established that a group of lads who emigrated there in 1914 may well have belonged to the Lads' Club. As a result we have a picture (left) of one of the members of the club from that time - William Chasteauneuf. We also have a copy of the reference (right) from the Lads' Club leader, Mr SF Cornish, which helped Chasteauneuf to emigrate to South Australia.

Chasteauneuf was one of about a dozen lads who lived close together in the area between Besley Street and Mitcham Lane, (about 1km or just over half a mile to the west of the church and now part of the Parish of St James West Streatham) and who all emigrated to South Australia in 1914. It seems likely that they all knew each other and were members together of the Lads' Club. Sadly, Chasteauneuf's life in Australia was cut short; he volunteered for the Australian Imperial Force in the First World War, returned to Europe and was among those killed in action.
Information and photographs kindly provided by Elspeth Grant, Adelaide, South Australia.

^TOP^



Photo of Immanuel Church Choir in mid-1950s (Choir1.jpg)

 9 

< Previous

Next >

More 'Immanuel people'...

Immanuel Church Choir in the mid-1950s...

...plus full 'supporting cast' including vicar and wardens!

See the notes below the photo.

Photographer and copyright holder (if any) not known. Apologies are offered if any copyright has been infringed.

 

The vicar (centre front) is Revd Donald Whitaker (Vicar 1952-1962) and the dark suited man centre back is Frederick Charles Grove, the verger, whose son Wilfred kindly provided the photo.

The wall behind them is what was then the south wall of the church building; it can be seen in the c1930 view of the exterior above. The grassy area in front of the wall on which the choir are standing or sitting is now occupied by the church hall.

It was around this time - in 1954 - that the church celebrated its centenary. A booklet was produced to mark the occasion - 'The Church on the Main Road'. It is out of print, but a readable/printable version of the text (though not the illustrations) can be downloaded using the link. It covers much of the history of Immanuel Church in the first 100 years of its existence - though from the perspective of the mid 20th century! It was the source of some of the information on this page. You may need to install Adobe Reader to read or print the pdf file.

^TOP^



Photo of Immanuel Youth Club members (YC-Im.jpg)

 10 

< Previous

Next >

More 'Immanuel people'...

Members of Immanuel Youth Club at a charity event in front of the new church hall - around 1962.

The new church hall opened in 1960 - built on the 'grassy area' in the photo above. The youth club was one of the many parish activities that took place within it.

(Photograph kindly supplied by Maureen and Albert Wilson - source not known. Apologies if any copyright has been infringed.)

^TOP^



Photo of Immanuel YouthClub members (diary10.jpg)

 11 

< Previous

Next >

More 'Immanuel people'...

Members of Immanuel Youth Club on an outing to Godstone around 1962.

The youth club was obviously popular with the young people of the day!

(Photograph kindly supplied by Maureen and Albert Wilson - source not known. Apologies if any copyright has been infringed.)

^TOP^



Photo of Immanuel Church building c1980 (Immanuel-c1980b.jpg)



 12 

< Previous

< Back to top

Immanuel Church (then Immanuel with St Anselm) as it was around 1980.

See the notes below the photo.

Photo © Copyright Jennifer Hull.

 

In 1952 Immanuel Church became 'Immanuel with St. Anselm'. St. Anselm's Church building had been to the north-east of Immanuel, but it had been destroyed during the Second World War and was not rebuilt. St. Anselm's parish became part of Immanuel parish - a new parish of Immanuel with St. Anselm.

Although this photo was taken around 1980 it shows the Immanuel with St Anselm Church building as it was following the completion of the new hall in 1960. It remained like this throughout the 1960s and 1970s, and until the demolition of much of the old building in the late 1980s and the erection of the building that is there today (photo 1 above).

The new hall with its three windows across the front is to the left of the tower. The brick building with the low pitched roof to the left of the hall was part of the adjacent factory and was demolished to make way for Sainsbury's store.

The silk mill (see the Beehive photo above) was also part of the factory complex and is the white building with the row of windows on the far left behind the trees. Its clock turret can be seen through the branches, but the chimney next to it had to be demolished when the factory closed. The Beehive is a little to the left again, out of the photo, as was the old school building (photo 3 above).

^TOP^



Return to the Photo Gallery opening page



Links to the main pages are at the TOP of the page.

Page last updated 13 December 2016.

W3C Valid HTML 4.01 logo
This page has been checked for the validity of the HTML code with the
World Wide Web Consortium's (W3C) HTML Validation Service.

Valid CSS!
The style sheet associated with this page has been checked for the validity of the CSS with the
World Wide Web Consortium's (W3C) CSS Validator.

Page design by David Gray 2016
© Copyright David Gray and PCC of Immanuel and St. Andrew Streatham 2004-16. Photographs copyright David Gray 2002-16 except where otherwise stated.

^TOP^